Tuesday, January 24, 2017

How to use a PDF Cross Stitch Pattern

I decided today to write about how to handle PDF cross stitch patterns as I receive a lot of questions regarding how it will work and what to do if you are only used to purchasing kits.  I completely understand the joy of kits as everything is ready, pre-cut and you just start stitching, but if I may, PDF patterns have their great appeal too.  They are quick, either immediate download or usually within 24 hours via email.  That's much better for those of us immediate gratification stitchers.  I cannot stress enough how easy it is to stitch from the pattern on my laptop; no more holding the patterns up, no more losing patterns, no more ripped patterns. Enough convincing, and on to the good stuff!

First, if you do not already have a PDF reader installed you will need to download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader software found here

Once that is downloaded you are ready to go.  Open that awesome pattern and check out the details.



Back from the craft store with all my supplies laid out.  I found some lovely 14 count aida on sale, and I grabbed a fun red and of course the standard 310 (although that is such an important stash color, so maybe bought a few more to keep on hand!  I have a wonderful cutting mat and rotary cutting thanks to a very supportive wonderful hubby, but scissors and ruler work too.  Whatever you have on hand.






My design size for this pattern was 4.5 x 5.3, I usually like to leave between 2"-3" extra fabric all around the design ( for framing OR for when I make a mistake finding the center- always nice to have a cushion).  I cut my fabric for this piece to 10" x 10".  Now I am ready to get stitching, just like if I had bought a kit!  So go buy those PDF pattern files, get 'em quicker, stitch 'em quicker and it's another great excuse to get out to the craft store!

No comments:

Post a Comment